Date in History:
Fort Dallas in Miami was occupied by U.S. troops for the third time on this date. First built in 1836 by the Federal government during the Second Seminole War, the site was occupied sporadically by troops until 1857. Buildings associated with the Fort existed for decades later, some being occupied by some of Miami’s early settlers including Miami’s founder Julia Tuttle. Today, the “old barracks” building as it became known is the only existing building from the fort which was moved to the north side of the Miami River into Lummus Park in the early 20th century.