Date in History:
1947 – The Florida State College for Women (FSCW) in Tallahassee was reorganized and renamed Florida State University (FSU) on this date. In response to the massive influx of WWII-veterans returning to the state who were taking advantage of government-funded educational programs, the Florida State Legislature decided to revert the school back into a coeducational facility. Begun in 1851 as one of two seminary schools in the state, the school reorganized into an all-women’s institution in 1905 and remained so until after WWII. Today the school is part of Florida’s State University system enrolling over 40,000 graduate and undergraduate students.