Date in History:
1901 – DeFuniak Springs in Walton County was incorporated as a town on this date. The town was founded by the Pensacola and Atlantic Railway and was named after Frederick R. DeFuniak, the vice-president of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, P&A’s parent company. DeFuniak Springs was the sight of a large Chautauqua facility which was popular in the early part of the 20th century. DeFuniak Springs was also the site of the Florida Normal College, which became part of Florida State University. Today, DeFuniak Springs is home to over 5,000 permanent residents and is the County Seat of Walton County.