Date in History:
1965 – The First Baptist Church of Gainesville was demolished on this date. Founded in 1831 as the Shiloh Baptist Church, it grew steadily over the course of the 19th century within a number of wooden structures until August 29, 1909 when a new brick structure was dedicated. The new church featured wooden pews arranged in a semicircle around the pulpit and a large stone bell tower. In 1936 a devastating tornado swept through downtown Gainesville damaging the church, but it was soon repaired and back open to parishioners. On February 12th, 1960 however, a devastating fire destroyed the church beyond repair and it was completely demolished in 1965.