Date in History:
The home of John Ringling opened to the public on this date. Ringling was one of five brothers who owned and operated the Ringling Brothers Circus, known as “the greatest show on earth.” John Ringling became one of the wealthiest men in America and decided to build a grand palace in Sarasota in 1924. The 36,000 square foot home, known as the Ca’ d’Zan, cost an unprecedented $1.5 million to complete. John and his wife Mable began collection famous pieces of art from European masters and eventually opened a museum on the property in 1931. After Ringling’s death, the State of Florida acquired the property which now includes the Ca d’Zan, the Ringling Art Museum, Ringling Circus Museum, and the Asolo Theater. Governance of the property was taken over by Florida State University in 2000.