Date in History:
1882 – The Rogers House Inn, located on the southeast corner of Morse and Interlachen in Winter Park, opened its doors on this date, effectively marking the beginning of the small resort community. Wealthy northern developers Oliver E. Chapman and Loring Chase chose the site for the Inn because of its proximity to a group of idyllic lakes and the newly constructed South Florida Railroad depot. Although only seven guests attended the hotel opening dinner gala, Winter Park would grow rapidly and in 1885 the state’s first four year institution of higher learning, Rollins College was established there. In 1904 the hotel was purchased by Mr. Charles Hosmer Morse and renamed the Seminole Inn. It was sold again in 1915 and renamed the Virginia Inn until being torn down in 1966.