From foundations to future, our first Hometown History exhibit takes a look at our very own Cocoa.
A difficult destination to reach, the City of Cocoa area was undeveloped until the late 1880s. With the development of easier modes of transporation such as steamboats, settlers began to venture South down the St. Johns River. The first steamboat, The Pioneer, ran south in 1877. Brevard was part of "Mosquito County" until 1855 when the name was changed to Brevard in honor of Florida state comptroller Theodore W. Brevard. Brevard houses two rivers only a few miles apart, the St. John's River running north, and the Indian River running south. They are the only two rivers in the world, so close together, which do this.