GUIDE TO THE
GEORGE W. HASTINGS PAPERS
.35 cubic feet
George William Hastings was born in Connecticut on Jan 4, 1827. At an early age he came to Ohio. For several years he studied the printing trade in the office of the "Oberlin Evangelist". In 1852 Hastings moved to Springfield, Ohio where he purchased a printing establishment and began the publication of a journal known as the "Dollar Weekly Nonpareil", which became a daily paper the following year. Mr. Hastings and his partner, C.M. Nichols, purchased another paper, the "Tri Weekly Republic" which later became the the well known "Republic". The firm continued to prosper and acquired other daily papers in the course of time. The story of Hastings’ success is told in the fact that for 30 years he was the leading publisher of Springfield.
In 1884 Mr. Hastings moved to Interlachen, Florida because of ill health. He operated several orange groves and established a citrus nursery. Hastings began purchasing many parcels of land until he had bought up the east end of the present town of Interlachen.
George Hastings died at Springfield, Ohio in 1916. His son, Harry G. Hastings, established the H.G. Hastings Company, which became one of the largest seed houses in America. Harry also published "The Ruralist" which later became the "Progressive Farmer", the South’s most prominent agricultural bulletin.
Scope and Content
There are approximately 100 deeds, including some mortgages and leases, that pertain to Interlachen, Florida. Many of these are handwritten and date from 1881. Included in the collection are various plat maps and lists of Hastings properties. The collection also includes old photographs of people and places, correspondence with the Land Office in Gainesville, Florida, some personal papers, and a copy of Hastings’ 19 page autobiography.
The collection consists of 11 folders arranged in numerical order. They are contained in one box.
The collection was donated in 1993.
There are no access restrictions.
Hastings, George W. - Archives
Interlachen (Fla.) - Early history - 19th century
Interlachen (Fla.) - Photographs - 19th century
Florida - History - Legal Documents
Putnam County (Fla.) - Land Titles - 19th century
Item 1 Autobiography - "Sketch of the Life of George William Hastings"
Item 2 Genealogies - Hastings
19th Century photos of Interlachen, Florida and family photos.
Same as folder 2
Hastings’ correspondence with the U.S. Dept. of the Interior, and the U.S. Land Office in Gainesville, Florida. (Hastings was contesting the claim of the Florida Railway to a certain tract of land.)
Plat maps of Interlachen, FL.
A Schedule of Florida Property. Also, listings of various properties owned by Hastings. Most are undated.
Deeds dating from 1882. Warranty Deeds and other legal papers.
COCOA-MERRITT ISLAND BRIDGE SERIES
1913. Handwritten letter from Otto Grosse pertaining to a mass meeting to discuss a bridge from Cocoa to Merritt Island.
1915. "Method of Procedure". Handwritten and signed by Rogers.
1915-1917. Soundings, test borings, and dredge fill.
1915. Requests from various companies to furnish lumber, reinforced concrete & steel, and draw bridge. Itemized estimate of total cost $95,172.00.
1915. More requests from companies interested in bidding.
1916 Feb-May. Correspondence with Gus Edwards and local businesses concerning approval of bonds and type of bridge. A six page draft of the bridge specifications.
1916. Advertisement for sale of gold bonds to finance bridge. Gives a glowing account of Cocoa and "Merritt’s Island".
1916 July. Notice To Bidders.
1916 Aug. Inquiries & proposals from various companies.
1916 Sept. More inquiries & proposals.
1916-1917 More inquiries & proposals.
Handwritten list of contractors and payments to them.
Cocoa and Merritt Island Roadwork Series.
1915, 1916. Estimates on paving Cocoa roads. Notice To Bidders.
1917. Cost of bridge and connecting roads on Merritt Island. Also a letter from A.A. Buck suggesting using "shell from convenience of using mounds" to resurface the marl roads.
1918-1920. Includes 5 letters from Gus Edwards on the different routes across Merritt Island to New Found Harbor.